Mary Mikell BakerOf Counsel
Mary Baker is a senior litigation attorney and Of Counsel to BerlikLaw, LLC. Mary engages primarily in civil litigation, including business and commercial litigation, employment litigation, intellectual property and trademark litigation and complex litigation. She has handled litigation covering essentially every issue that affects business. She litigates primarily in Northern Virginia the District of Columbia but has litigated in federal courts in California, Georgia, Maryland, New York and Texas.
Some notable professional accomplishments and highlights include:
- Winning a $5.4M verdict as lead counsel for a successful Northern Virginia internet technology company in an employment and trade secrets theft case in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Winning a $1.3M judgment as lead counsel for a D.C. defense subcontractor in a government contract/breach of contract dispute with a major defense contractor.
- Arguing and winning an appeal before the Ninth Circuit in a $30M fraud and Ponzi scheme case.
- Securing a multi-million dollar settlement in a real property dispute in Loudoun County, Virginia (Loudoun County Circuit Court).
- Winning a directed verdict on behalf of defendant foreign embassy in dispute over real property in the District of Columbia involving issues of sovereign immunity.
- Arguing a case of first impression before the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals regarding Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act and employment.
- Successfully defending defendant-employee in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia in trade secret-breach of fiduciary duty case.
- Serving as co-counsel in a complex $9B case in one of the largest ever alleged Ponzi schemes and helping secure successful settlement.
J.D., GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY LAW CENTER, Washington, D.C, 1990
Law Review: Journal of Law and Technology; 1988-89
Notes and Comments Editor, 1989-90
B.A., CLEMSON UNIVERSITY, Clemson, South Carolina, 1987
Political Science, summa cum laude
Evidence and Ethics in the World of Social Media and Recent Developments (TRT 2014)
Employment Law and Risk Management for Small Business (TRT 2014)
Social Media and Discovery: Access, Developments and Ethics (TRT 2014)
Discovery Tactics and Issues Relating to Social Media: The Do’s and Don’ts (TRT 2013)
Common Torts and Claims Through the Prism of Small Business (TRT 2013)